Attorneys Guiding You Through The Spousal Support Process
As opposed to the formulaic nature of child support, the determination of spousal maintenance has much more leeway. A St. Charles spousal support attorney at our firm can guide you through this process.
At Turken & Porzenski, L.L.C., we understand that many spouses think they will be supported in the same way they were while they were married. This, unfortunately, is not the case. A divorce means that the family is going from income that supported one household to the same income supporting two households. Child support matters and property division disputes also come into play while determining spousal maintenance.
Factors In Determining Child Support
There are four factors that are typically examined in order to appropriately determine a spousal support, or alimony, amount that is fair to both parties:
- Length of marriage
- Earning ability of the person asking for support
- Is the person asking currently working, and, if not, can they work?
- Earning ability of the person paying support
Several factors are also weighed during these discussions, including:
- Is there a disabled spouse?
- Are any of the children special needs?
- Do the children need to be in day care if the spouse leaves to work?
An experienced lawyer can guide you through these negotiations and work diligently to arrive at a beneficial resolution.
How Courts Define Spousal Maintenance
It is also important to differentiate between the two types of maintenance:
- Modifiable maintenance is open-ended and can be changed from month to month based on need.
- Non-modified maintenance is contractual and locks a specific amount for a specific time period.
Our firm has experience representing both sides in spousal support mediations. Do not hesitate to contact our office and schedule a consultation to learn more about your options and the challenges you might face.
Contact Our Firm
If you have questions regarding spousal support and maintenance in Missouri, contact Turken & Porzenski, L.L.C., to schedule a consultation and a valuable assessment of your case. Our office is open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and is conveniently located near the St. Charles County Courthouse. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.