Turken & Porzenski, L.L.C.
Call For an Initial Consultation
636-352-1619 | 888-875-1907

paternity Archives

What is the Putative Father Registry?

In order to protect your rights as a father, the state of Missouri has set up a registry so you can be informed if a child you believe is yours is put up for adoption. It is called the Putative Father Registry, according to the Department of Health and Senior Services. This registry allows you to make an official claim of paternity to a child.

How does paternity testing work?

If you’re a father in Missouri and have concerns about paternity, you may be considering DNA testing. While this can be a tough decision to make, it’s crucial that you establish correct paternity for both your well-being as well as that of the child. You probably also have questions about the process, such as how long tests take and how they’re conducted. The Cleveland Clinic answers this and other questions so you can make the best decision for your future.

What should you do if you find out you are not the father?

Having a baby is supposed to be a wonderful experience. However, many births are wrought with tension because the identity of the father is not known. In some cases, the father is assumed to be a certain person and he take responsibility for the child only to find later that he is not the biological father. A situation like this can be especially devastated because you have had the time to develop a relationship with the child. If this happens to you, you may wonder what your next steps should be.

Disputing paternity requires a trial

If a husband and wife are married at the time of the child's conception and birth in Missouri, it is natural for the father to assume that he is the biological father. The mother and father typically both put their names on the birth certificate at the time of birth, which makes the man the father in the eyes of the law. In the event that circumstances come to light indicating that someone else is the biological father, the current putative father may want to dispute paternity so that the biological father may become the legal father, instead.

The many benefits of paternity testing

In a time that is likely already laden with questions, uncertainty surrounding a child's biological parent can be overwhelming. Sometimes, the mere request of taking a DNA test can become a challenge in itself. However, this information can be crucial not only in a parent's life, but in the child's, as well. Below are some of the many reasons why paternity testing in Missouri can make all the difference.

Why children fare best when they know their fathers

If you live in Missouri and believe you may have fathered a child, you may want to consider taking a paternity test so that you can secure the answers you need. If you are not the father of the child in question, a paternity test can keep you from having to pay child support. Conversely, finding out that you are, in fact, a child’s father, can prove tremendously beneficial not only for you, but for your child. At Turken & Porzenski, L.L.C., we have more than 17 years of experiencing helping clients conduct paternity tests and navigate related family law issues, and we have a firm understanding of just how important your presence in your son or daughter’s life can prove to be.

Man wants frozen embryos destroyed

Typically, cases addressing the issue of paternal rights in St. Charles involve a father fighting for his rights to continue to have a relationship with his children. Yet do paternal rights extend to man's right not to want to have a child? Advances in reproductive technology made in recent years have also given rise to cases where separated couples who were once dealing with fertility issues are now battling over the right to use frozen embryos. Rulings in such cases have tended to vary given that there currently is no legal precedent set as a standard to apply to such cases. 

How is paternity established in Missouri?

Supporting and caring for a child in St. Charles requires a lot of work and is best done with the involvement of both parents. If you find yourself, as a mother, struggling to accomplish this task and/or wanting to involve your current partner or your child's biological father more in his or her upbringing, then establishing a legal link between said party and your child is a must. Yet how is paternity established in Missouri? 

Email us for a response

Email Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Turken & Porzenski, L.L.C.
131 Jefferson Street
St. Charles, MO 63301

St. Charles Law Office Map

Review Us
Credit Cards